Subject: Re: [boost] Updating the Boost Review Process Was: [GGL] Bost.Polygon (GTL) vs GGL - rationale
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-20 09:11:29

Joachim Faulhaber wrote:
> 2009/11/19 Simonson, Lucanus J <lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden]>
>
> > I guess I remember more clearly the feeling of being
> > cornered by your
> > benchmark results which I had no way to reproduce for myself from an
> > algorithm that I didn't know how it worked when the review
> > of my library was
> > close. I went out of my way to be positive and friendly in
> > my response, but
> > I was concerned that your benchmark results would kill my
> > library's chances in review ...
>
> Luke, I really appreciate your very open reply. I can understand your
> feelings well. I think this is a very good place to start from for a
> creative future of both of your libraries (and authors)
> working together.

I, too, was pleased to see Luke's reply. I was troubled by the angst and even anger in some of the traffic related to geometry over the recent months. I thought some responses were excessive and others confrontational. Things didn't escalate beyond reason, but were frequently edgy. Luke's confession of his perceptions has, I think, cleared the air. I'm likewise pleased that Bahrend has expressed his willingness to forget the past and reasserted his willingness to cooperate with Luke.

It's can be hard to control one's feelings, but assuming the best of others and openly revealing one's own concerns will go a long way toward keeping things civil. I think that's what Luke and Bahrend are now trying to do. I hope that one day the geometry efforts can be merged into a library even better than the two before us now. Time and experience will reveal the right approach where the two diverge. It needn't be personal.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]