Subject: Re: [boost] Preliminary submission: generic linear algebra algorithms library Boost LA
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-22 00:51:29

2009/11/21 Agustín K-ballo Bergé <kaballo86_at_[hidden]>:
> I'm considering this library for use in a future project. Mainly in
> order to operate with C arrays as vectors. I try using it for a few
> minutes and got the following concerns, sorry if they were brought up
> already:
>
> · Operators don't work unless boost::la namespace is bring into scope,
> couldn't ADL kick in?

No, ADL can not kick in because the overloads are in namespace
boost::la and the user-defined types they are typically called with
are in other namespaces. You can safely bring boost::la into scope
globally, the overloads this will introduce will not clash with
anything.

> · Could swizzling 'placeholders' be placed on a different namespace, so
> I could write `using namespace boost::la::swizzling;` or similar.

This is a good idea. I am planning to separate the operator overloads
in a different namespace from everything else, since the operator
overloads are always safe to bring into scope with using, yet ADL
doesn't work for them.

> Everything else looks nice so far. Hope you continue working on it
> whether it gets into boost or not, its a really useful library!

Thanks, I am hoping to get some more feedback, then I think I'll do a
what will probably be a very light refactoring. After that I'll
request a review and we'll see. :)

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.