Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] Bug sprint: #2100 thread fails to compile with -fno-exceptions
From: Anthony Williams (anthony.ajw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-25 03:25:49

Vicente Botet Escriba <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> writes:

> the use of boost::throw_exception is welcome but more for the ability this
> function provides to store a pointer to an exception than the ability to
> disable exception. If in addition you use some ifdefs to mask features that
> are not easy to provide without exceptions the reporter of the ticket could
> use Boost.Thread on an environment that has or requires no exceptions.

Thanks.

> I don't understand however how an application can work without taking care
> of errors. Just my point of view.

I agree. I understand that the expected practice in such cases is to
abort the program where an exception would be thrown. It is then up to
the library user to ensure that the circumstances that would lead to an
exception don't occur.

Anthony

--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/