Subject: Re: [boost] Idea: Boost Software Foundation?
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-25 10:04:38

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Edouard A. <edouard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> One big advantage of having a foundation is that it makes the job of
> raising money easier, especially if you can get the foundation approved as
> "general interest" (tax deduction...).
>
> However I don't think having a formal, legal definition makes the
> organization less monolithic and more flexible. The way you are organized
> is IMHO orthogonal.

I would tend to disagree with the assertion that organization would be
orthogonal to the project. Let me state why I would disagree:

1. Having an organization dedicated to a project gives the project a
clear direction and the mechanism for it to deliver in an organized
manner. Right now the adhoc process of review and inclusion yields the
very "beast" (used in an endearing manner) that is the monolithic
Boost C++ Library. If you organized each sub-project as a
sub-organization or sub-project of a bigger quality effort, then you
can deliver what people have been looking for which are modular
releases of Boost libraries, more open to contribution on a
per-project basis, easier distribution, etc.

2. Because of the fund-raising capability introduced by having a Boost
Software Foundation, you can then convince industry players to support
an organization dedicated to advancing the ideals of the original
project. Less abstractly it's easier to convince compiler vendors,
third-party support providers, and users in general to fund an effort
for advancing C++ language, application, and tool development.

3. What a formal organization can provide that a loosely knit group of
volunteer developers+users can give is focus that is otherwise lacking
to deliver the utmost quality we the users are looking for. By having
a single organization represent the Boost community of users,
developers, and supporters it can focus on the issues that need
addressing: things like documentation, project management, release
management, promotion/marketing, etc.

These are the three reasons I would think having an organization like
a Boost Software Foundation would do the Boost C++ Library project a
whole lot of good on top of the good that it itself is already able to
deliver.

I HTH.

--
Dean Michael Berris
blog.cplusplus-soup.com | twitter.com/mikhailberis