Subject: Re: [boost] Review Queue Needs Attention
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-26 06:55:44

> This was sent to me off list. Presumably by mistake so I'm replying here.

was it? it should have been delivered via gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel

> We used to have an integrated sandbox, but it became a mess as
> everything got out of sync so we moved over to the current model. This
> was partly because we were using CVS at the time which doesn't have
> great support for branching. But even with better tools you're going
> to need someone to manage such a tree.

true, it is not a development model suited for cvs/svn ... fortunately,
there are other tools out there ... the work of maintaining an
integrated tree would could possibly be automated and would probably
reduce the work of both developers and `boost-proposed' testers. the
development model of the linux kernel showed me how to keep a complex
development structure simple ...

> It is possible to set up a library so that it can be used outside of
> the main tree, although I don't think it's very well documented and
> not many people bother.

is there any documentation about this available? i would be curious to
see ...

for library developers it would be a great help to be able to use the
boost test system, in order to see, if their code does compile on
various platforms/compilers. an integrated `boost-proposed' tree could
probably be easily integrated into the boost test system just like the
`trunk' or `release' branches. this would greatly help library devs to
write portable code ...

tim

--
tim_at_[hidden]