Subject: [boost] Any interest in static plugins?
From: Dave van Soest (dsoest_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-26 19:45:09

Hi all,

I created a template-based header-only library for creating static plugin
systems. I'm wondering whether there would be any interest to include such
a library in Boost.

About static plugins:
Static plugins are not as common as dynamic plugins, but they have some
useful applications. Static plugins are a way to extend the functionality
of a program or library without having to change the existing source
files, just by adding a source file or object file, which is then linked
statically against the already existing object files. Some reasons you
might be doing this:
- You don't have permission to change the existing source files.
- You don't have the source files, only the object and header files. - You
don't want to have to change existing sources every time you extend
functionality.
- Simply including or excluding the object file from the linking process
adds or removes functionality from the program or library, leaving no
traces inside.
  - Different configurations can be build easily this way.
  - Testing only the required functionality without having to build the
full application.
- And some other advantages it shares with dynamic plugins.

If there appears to be any interest I will post more information and some
code and code examples.

Best regards,
Dave van Soest