Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Array Maintainer
From: Jeffrey Bosboom (jbosboom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-27 03:51:28

Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> Question: does someone have to be a maintainer of an existing library
> (or author of one of the accepted libraries) to become a maintainer of
> an existing (orphaned?) library?

I think the current system of library "ownership" is a big problem for
Boost. When the owner/maintainer is around, things work fine, but
simply letting libraries rot because their owner moved on to other
projects is not acceptable. We shouldn't advertise that they're of
"Boost quality" when bugs are not being addressed (particularly when
patches are provided, and all that has to be done is commit, watch the
tests cycle, and merge -- users end up having to maintain these patches
themselves against their local installation of Boost). Either
unmaintained libraries should be removed from Boost, or anyone else
willing to take responsibility for them should be allowed to do so.

--Jeffrey Bosboom