Subject: Re: [boost] boost_extension
From: Jeffrey Hellrung (jhellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-06 18:46:29

Christian Henning wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> to get the boost extension movement going how would people feel if we
> create a new project on sourceforge called "boost_extension". This
> will be a placeholder for all extensions to all boost accepted
> libraries. The goal is to have a project structure very similar to
> boost. For instance, all extensions have to have tests, documentation,
> etc supported by bjam. The folder structure will be the same boost,
> like
>
> boost_extension\boost\gil\io
> or
> boost_extension\libs\gil\io\test\
>
> There will be a review process as well. Only accepted libraries will
> be added. Hopefully enough people will be interested in participating.
>
> As, for releasing, again we would model after boost. There will be a
> developing trunk and a release branch. Hopefully within the next
> couple of releases we can sync releases with boost.
>
> I know there is a plethora of issues involving such an effort. Please
> let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
> Christian

Can you explain to us (well, maybe just myself) what the motivation for
this is? Why should a boost_extension library not just be included in
boost itself? I guess I can think of a few reasons (e.g., "keep boost
more focused on core libraries", "give a home to libraries wrongfully
rejected from boost"), but I don't know if these are the reasons you
have in mind; and whether they are or not, why those reasons justify the
existence of a boost_extension project.

- Jeff