Subject: Re: [boost] Does anyone know what happens to all we write at home?
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-06 19:19:32

2009/12/6 Vladimir Batov <vbatov_at_[hidden]>:
> Does anyone know what happens to all we write at home? We habitually put the 'boost' license on such work. However, can your employer claim that *anything* you do belongs to "him" and to slap you with a violation of Confidentiality Agreement or Intellectual Property Agreement?

If done completely on your own time without using any of your
employer's equipment (like a work laptop, or in a work building), then
you might own the copyright. It depends on your employment contract.
Often they'll claim anything you do related to any business the
*company* is in, in which case you're screwed if you work for
something like Microsoft that does everything. More reasonable
contracts only claim things directly related to the work you are, have
recently been, or will soon be doing for them, with anything beyond
that covered by the usual clauses about not helping competitors.

IANAL, of course.