Subject: Re: [boost] Does anyone know what happens to all we write at home?
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-06 19:20:41

On Dec 6, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Vladimir Batov wrote:

> Does anyone know what happens to all we write at home? We habitually put the 'boost' license on such work. However, can your employer claim that *anything* you do belongs to "him" and to slap you with a violation of Confidentiality Agreement or Intellectual Property Agreement?

It depends on those contracts. I have been in situations where at least the contracts have stated that anything I did during employment - even after hours *and* on my own computers - related to IT have belonged to my employer. It is arguable whether such wide contracts are legit, though. But, what you do on your employer's computers (such as a laptop you use both at work and at home) is *often* property of the employer.

This does (obviously) not constitute a legal advice in one direction or the other; just read your contracts carefully :-)

/David