Subject: Re: [boost] Updated performance results using BoostSerialization 1.41
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-07 12:29:47

Kim Barrett wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>> Our measurements show Boost.Serialization spends most of its time
>> creating (constructing) archives and there it's mainly initializing
>> the locale...
>
> The locale initialization can be avoided if your application can get
> away with using the boost::archive::no_codecvt construction flag.
> (Assuming that's still behaving the same as when I looked into this
> performance area back around boost 1.33.)
>
> These threads may also be of interest:
>
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2005/07/90814.php
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2006/03/102133.php
>
> I keep promising myself that I will soon collect sufficient round
> tuits to do something about this, but so far those promises remain
> broken. Maybe once I upgrade my team to boost 1.41.

I'm aware of this suggestion and it's motivation. I'm not
convinced that this is the best way to address.

In your particular application, I don't think it should be necessary
to "reset" the archive as long as you're not serializating any
pointers. If one is not serializing any pointers, then no
tracking is done. So a "reset" operation should be surperfluous.

The best way to handle this is still an open question to me

Robert Ramey