Subject: Re: [boost] Review Queue Needs Attention
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-11 05:26:02

On Friday 11 December 2009 13:20:53 Tim Blechmann wrote:

> >> well, both checkouts wouldn't be synchronized ...
> >> a distributed version
> >> control system would fit for this use case way better ... i don't want
> >> to start a scm flamewar, but for me svn appears to be very limited
> >> compared to tools like git ...
> >
> > We could probably indeed start a nice flamewar on version control, but before
> > we go that route, I wanted to double check. Is this inconvenience of
> > combining sanbbox libraries with main release the primary issue with the current
> > organization of sandbox? Or there are other issues? Could you list them?
> >
> > Because if it's the only issue, we're doing pretty well ;-)
>
> consider the following use case:
> boost (upstream) contains boost/memory_order.hpp
> my_lib uses boost/memory_order.hpp
>
> boost (upstream) doesn't define memory_order_consume, my_lib requires
> memory_order_consume to be defined in boost/memory_order.hpp

And -- what version of what does contain those function there?

> so both repository checkout clash ... using one merged git repository,
> this is no issue (possibly the same with mercurial or bazaar)

Probably the same using SVN. If somebody has a branch called 'memory_order_with_cool_functions',
and you have branch called 'tim', then it's not clear to me why you cannot merge
relevant commits from 'memory_order_with_cool_functions' to 'tim'.

Is this a real use case? If so, maybe you can point me at URLs and we'll check
in detail?

- Volodya