Subject: Re: [boost] Review Queue Needs Attention
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-11 05:35:33

>> consider the following use case:
>> boost (upstream) contains boost/memory_order.hpp
>> my_lib uses boost/memory_order.hpp
>>
>> boost (upstream) doesn't define memory_order_consume, my_lib requires
>> memory_order_consume to be defined in boost/memory_order.hpp
>
> And -- what version of what does contain those function there?

boost-1.41 doesn't contain memory_order_consume, in my use case,
boost.atomic does need memory_order_consume. so the boost.atomic
repository should provide an updated boost/memory_order.hpp, which is
not possible when using 2 svn repositories, is it?

>> so both repository checkout clash ... using one merged git repository,
>> this is no issue (possibly the same with mercurial or bazaar)
>
> Probably the same using SVN. If somebody has a branch called 'memory_order_with_cool_functions',
> and you have branch called 'tim', then it's not clear to me why you cannot merge
> relevant commits from 'memory_order_with_cool_functions' to 'tim'.

- upcoming boost libraries using the sandbox layout do not provide the
boost upstream code
- svn doesn't provide local branches, does it?
- builing `out of place' is undocumented/ugly/hard to configure

> Is this a real use case? If so, maybe you can point me at URLs and we'll check
> in detail?

you can find the boost.atomic code in helge's git repository:
http://git.chaoticmind.net/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/boost.atomic/

tim

--
tim_at_[hidden]