Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Atomic request for review/inclusion
From: Helge Bahmann (hcb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-16 03:06:56

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Phil Endecott wrote:

> Helge Bahmann wrote:
>> First of all I would like to thank for the comments that I have received so
>> far, I have incorporated almost all of them I think. Boost.Atomic is now in
>> a form that I consider calling it a release. It has support for "true"
>> atomic variables on:
>>
>> - gcc/x86, 32-bit (tested on Linux, FreeBSD)
>> - gcc/x86, 64-bit (tested on Linux)
>> - gcc/powerpc32 (tested on Linux, Mac OS X)
>> - gcc/powerpc64 (untested)
>> - generic Win32 (tested with Visual Studio Express on Win XP)

forgot venerable alpha here (not that anyone cares, except for me...)

> Hi Helge,
>
> I will have a look at merging my ARM implementation with this ASAP. git-foo
> is probably the hardest part.

Thanks, this is much appreciated; if you don't want to, you don't need to
fuzz with git (plain patches or files are as welcome)

> One thing I mentioned before, which doesn't seem to have changed in this
> version, is your use of reinterpret_cast rather than const_cast in cases like
> this:
>
> *reinterpret_cast<volatile T *>(&i)=v;
>
> I suggested that this should be const_cast<volatile T&>(i)=v. Any thoughts?

you are right, this comment of yours unfortunately slipped my attention.
Will be fixed.

Best regards,
Helge