Subject: Re: [boost] Linking Errors in Boost Logging
From: Rob Riggs (rob_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-30 22:26:45

On 12/30/2009 03:58 AM, Vicente Botet Escriba wrote:
> nsk-4 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a beginner in using the Boost Libraries. I came across
>> them when I was trying to implement the Boost Logging
>> Framework version2 from John Torjo's website. I tried
>> implementing the starter
>> project(http://torjo.com/log2/doc/html/starter_project.html)
>> from Boost Log documentation using Visual Studios 2005 IDE. I
>> got the following 2 errors:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Please let me know whether I am missing some linker
>> dependencies. Please help!
>>

> Hi,
>
> the library was rejected on 2008-03-17 see
> http://lists.boost.org/boost-announce/2008/03/0181.php.

I would recommend the Apache log4cxx library
(http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/index.html). It's more immediately
usable than anything I have seen submitted for Boost to date, with
appenders for the Windows EventLog, Unix syslog, email, database, file,
socket, and others.

http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/index.html

Which brings up a question for the boost community: what is the stance
on re-inventing functionality that exists in other external projects,
working with other groups like the ASF to combine efforts, or
unofficially adopting third party libs into the fold?

Rob