Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost 1.41: list_of] Boost compliation error, > Sun Studio 11 using standard C++ lib
From: Stefan Teleman (stefan.teleman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-03 14:02:55

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 13:45, shing fan <shingfan_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> So, with limited resources (time, labour, and technical expertise on complier), would it be safe to assume that i should pursue other routes (e.g. boost with gcc or with stlport) and not continue with the beast (compling boost with libCstd?).  Your professional opinion is much appreciated.

This is what you needed to do for boost 1.33.1 to get it to compile
with Studio 12:

http://kdesolaris-svn.cvsdude.com/branches/BOOST/1.33.1/Solaris/

see the README.Solaris file.

I haven't tried building more recent boosts with libCstd.so.1 since then.

You can build most of boost 1.40.0 with Studio 12 [ with the latest
patches ] and the Apache Standard C++ Library 4.2.1, which is
available in Solaris/Nevada builds, but not in Solaris 10.

There are several boost libraries which do not compile with either
Studio 12 or Studio 12 Update 1, even with the Apache Standard C++
Library combination above. One library which pops in my mind right now
is Boost.Interprocess -- it requires C++0x compiler features [ rvalue
refs ], and this feature is not yet available with Sun Studio.

You can build recent boosts with GCC 4.3.x on Solaris. Please keep in
mind that GCC C++ binaries are ABI incompatible with Sun Studio C++
binaries, and you will not be able to mix and match compilers.

HTH,

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman