Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Release Candidate 4 released
From: Stephan Menzel (stephan.menzel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-12 14:21:33

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Andrey Semashev
<andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> As for performance, the mentioned above forum thread should give you the
> idea. As I said, I will add a performance section to the docs.

Andrey,

I looked briefly over the aformentioned thread. Just wanted to let you
know we did something way simpler here which may or may not help you.
Lacking boost.log we created or own logging class which is basically
an as-simple-as-possible Syslog client. (I like to process and
accumulate there). It used to be boost.format to assemble the messages
which proved slower than log4cxx. With spirtt2.1 in 1.41 however we
changed to use a karma message generator for this purpose which
improved speed dramatically. If you are interested I can donate the
generator for your syslog sink. Let me know. Would be syslog only
though, but it may still help performance wise.

Apart from this, I like the docs. (Could be a little more syslog
example though ;-) And the very idea that boost.log is finally
appearing. At last! One of the things I've been missing in boost for
such a long time. I hope it will enter the trunk soon.

Cheers,
Stephan