Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.tracer] library request
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-20 07:29:39

Hi,

Boost.Chrono provide already this functionality with its new feature Stopwatch. See http://old.nabble.com/-chrono--v0.3--New-Stopwatch-Feature-tt27202338.html.

Stopwatch is a an generic feature that allows the user to trace all you trace and more expect your "Average T between calls".
stopclock<> provides a run time reporting package that can be invoked in a single line of code to report the usage of a Clock.
stopclock_accumulator<> associates an accumulator with a stopwatch, so we are able to retrieve any statistical feature Boost.Accumulator provides. For example: .

******** START OF FILE ********
#include <boost/stopwatches.h>
#include <cmath>

#define TRACE_LIFETIME \
  static boost::chrono::stopclock_accumulator<> acc(BOOST_CHRONO_ACCUMULATOR_FUNCTION_FORMAT); \
  boost::chrono::stopclock_accumulator<>::scoped_run _(acc);

int f1(long j)
{
  TRACE_LIFETIME;

  for ( long i = 0; i < j; ++i )
    std::sqrt( 123.456L ); // burn some time

  return 0;
}
int main()
{
  TRACE_LIFETIME;

  f1(100000);
  f1(200000);
  f1(300000);
  return 0;
}

******** END OF FILE ********
produce the output

int f1(long int) : 3 times, sum=0.031s, min=0.006s, max=0.013s, mean=0.010s
int main() : 1 times, sum=0.031s, min=0.031s, max=0.031s, mean=0.031s

I'm interesteed in seen your code, could you upload it somewhere?

Any comments on the Stopwatch part of the Chrono library is welcome.

Best,
Vicente