Subject: Re: [boost] [1.42.0] Beta 1 release candidate
From: Alexander Churanov (alexanderchuranov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-20 11:40:53

Beman,

Looking at the Google Calendar on boost.org/development, may I be sure the
cycle for testing 1.42 Beta is 2 weeks, and the release is to be published
no earlier than February 1st?

I propose the libraries are not released earlier, because it's necessary to
finish test cycle for FreeBSD and report all issues.

FreeBSD project has long testing cycle for boost libraries, because we need
to be sure that an update does not introduce bugs making dependent
applications stop working. This was the case for 1.41. While requiring a few
patches for just building correctly, that version introduced some bugs in
the code of libraries that were hard to investigate. As the result, we've
managed to import 1.41 only by the end of 2009 and still waiting for some
additional fixes to be checked into the FreeBSD ports.

The usual test procedure for updating Boost libraries is to verify that
libraries build correctly and then that all dependent packages are built and
work correctly. Considering the number of dependent application being tested
(about 50) and various architectures (i386, amd64, ia64, sparc64) our
testing may be a valuable source of quality reports for Boost.org.

Alexander Churanov,
maintainer of devel/boost-* for FreeBSD