Subject: Re: [boost] codepad code longevity ?
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 20:09:44

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:05 AM, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Dean Michael Berris
> <mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Joel de Guzman
>> <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> the case, then we should ban the use of codepad. People here, myself
>>> included, need pasted code to be permanent for future reference.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> On github there are things called 'gists' which live as long as the
>> gist is not deleted by the account owner. Gists are full-on git
>> repositories that can be forked by others and can be made publicly
>> available.
>>
>> I hope this helps!
>>
>> http://gist.github.com/ -- will require that you have a Github account.
>
> That has nothing to do with this (and please, people, quit pushing
> git, if we wanted to use it then we would).

You can use Github without using git. You can use it purely for the
gist functionality which is equivalent (or even better) than codepad,
pastebin, or others like it.

> The issue is that instead
> of people posting short code snippets in-email or as an attachment,
> they are posting it to something like codepad or one of its clones,
> thus when someone looks in the boost archive however many years from
> now, the link is invalid or points to the wrong code if it has been
> reassigned.  People can make codepad last indefinitely as well, but it
> does not do that by default, and most people do not bother to change
> the options.  It is *always* better just in inline it or attach it,
> depending on length.  Always more easily acceptable and indexable by
> google then as code that is with the archive will be linked to it,
> where as it is not if on codepad or anywhere else, it has no reference
> there.

Sure, but if you really wanted to use something like codepad so that
the code is accessible from elsewhere, Github gists are one way of
doing it. And again, you don't have to know or use git to use the gist
functionality.

You also get versions for free when using gists so that you can look
at the evolution of the code snippet over time.

HTH

--
Dean Michael Berris
cplusplus-soup.com | twitter.com/deanberris