Subject: Re: [boost] codepad code longevity ?
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 20:25:42

On 1/30/2010 9:09 AM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>> The issue is that instead
>> of people posting short code snippets in-email or as an attachment,
>> they are posting it to something like codepad or one of its clones,
>> thus when someone looks in the boost archive however many years from
>> now, the link is invalid or points to the wrong code if it has been
>> reassigned. People can make codepad last indefinitely as well, but it
>> does not do that by default, and most people do not bother to change
>> the options. It is *always* better just in inline it or attach it,
>> depending on length. Always more easily acceptable and indexable by
>> google then as code that is with the archive will be linked to it,
>> where as it is not if on codepad or anywhere else, it has no reference
>> there.
>
> Sure, but if you really wanted to use something like codepad so that
> the code is accessible from elsewhere, Github gists are one way of
> doing it. And again, you don't have to know or use git to use the gist
> functionality.
>
> You also get versions for free when using gists so that you can look
> at the evolution of the code snippet over time.

Doesn't seem like an advantage to me over simple inline code in
posts. If you want to post to many NGs, you can always cross post.
If you want your post accessible somewhere else (e.g. blog), you
can always give a link to your post, just like I've done a while
ago with the links to the Spirit discussions. It doesn't make sense
to link to the code anyway without the context surrounding it.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com