Subject: Re: [boost] codepad code longevity ?
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 20:36:18

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Dean Michael Berris
<mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> If you want to post to many NGs, you can always cross post.
>> If you want your post accessible somewhere else (e.g. blog), you
>> can always give a link to your post, just like I've done a while
>> ago with the links to the Spirit discussions. It doesn't make sense
>> to link to the code anyway without the context surrounding it.
>>

> Well, now that you mention it you can embed the gist snippet using
> HTML+JavaScript. :D

You can embed gist snippets in an email text post? That would be a
new one on me. ;-)

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Dean Michael Berris
<mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The only point I was making is that Github gists is an alternative
> means of doing it. Of course if the code fits in an email and is worth
> inlining, then that's alright I guess.

Not asking about alternates, rather asking *NOT* to do it at all
actually. Inline if short enough, or attach it as a full compilable
example.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Dean Michael Berris
<mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> It only breaks down if you have more than a manageable number of lines
> of code to be considered "email friendly".

Hence the "or attach it" bit.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Dean Michael Berris
<mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> If the concern was longevity, as long as the user's github account is
> active and the gist has not been deleted, then it's just like anything
> else out there that's accessible via a link. :)

Not just longevity, but also searchability, remember, everything here
is archived, it needs to all be searchable *in-context*. Links
elsewhere, whether codepad or anything else awful like that, like
gist, harm that in a number of ways.