Subject: Re: [boost] codepad code longevity ?
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 20:32:05

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Joel de Guzman
<joel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 1/30/2010 9:09 AM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>>
>> Sure, but if you really wanted to use something like codepad so that
>> the code is accessible from elsewhere, Github gists are one way of
>> doing it. And again, you don't have to know or use git to use the gist
>> functionality.
>>
>> You also get versions for free when using gists so that you can look
>> at the evolution of the code snippet over time.
>
> Doesn't seem like an advantage to me over simple inline code in
> posts.

That's true.

> If you want to post to many NGs, you can always cross post.
> If you want your post accessible somewhere else (e.g. blog), you
> can always give a link to your post, just like I've done a while
> ago with the links to the Spirit discussions. It doesn't make sense
> to link to the code anyway without the context surrounding it.

Well, now that you mention it you can embed the gist snippet using
HTML+JavaScript. :D

The only point I was making is that Github gists is an alternative
means of doing it. Of course if the code fits in an email and is worth
inlining, then that's alright I guess.

It only breaks down if you have more than a manageable number of lines
of code to be considered "email friendly".

If the concern was longevity, as long as the user's github account is
active and the gist has not been deleted, then it's just like anything
else out there that's accessible via a link. :)

HTH

--
Dean Michael Berris
cplusplus-soup.com | twitter.com/deanberris