Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for new variants of the Boost logo.
From: Edouard A. (edouard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-08 14:22:11

>Except that logos are copyrightable while names are not, if I remember
>correctly.
>Both are of course trademarkable.

You can copyright names in a given context. For example you can copyright
boost so that no software library but your own may call itself "boost". It
becomes a brand. But someone can come up with clothes called "Boost" and you
can't prevent them from using your name unless you copyrighted the name of
boost for clothes as well (or the usage will harm you somehow, as you can
guess it's to who's going to get the best lawyers).

Copyrights have a limited reach, you need to pay for copyright per country
and per class.

*Anyway...* Drafting a bit out of topic here and I'd like to give more
context to my initial question.

I've got a very limited marketing knowledge, but I do know that generally
speaking you want to control how your name is used and talked about, hence
my question about the usage policy of the "powered by boost".

You may want to craft the logo license in such a way so that you can force
people using the logo in a way you dislike to cease and desist (for example
spamming software saying "powered by boost").

Ah maybe I'm just nitpicking...

-Edouard

database 4849 (20100208) __________

http://www.eset.com