Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Mac OS default codecvt facet
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-14 20:49:57

Beman Dawes wrote:

> I'm less than 100% sure of that. I see discussions indicating locale
> can have an impact.

Locale can have an impact in that a non-UTF-8 locale breaks programs that
use the locale for filename conversions (a behavior common for programs
originating on old-school, encoding-agnostic Unix.)

Linux is one example of an encoding-agnostic OS, and there is no practical
way for FS to do the right thing there, because the encoding can vary
depending on the path (one can mount NTFS and HFS+ filesystems and the
encoding is given at mount time.) In principle, a Linux-specific
implementation of the FS library might be able to query the kernel about the
correct encoding for a specific path element, but I doubt that anyone will
bother.

Either way, once the world switches to UTF-8 everywhere things will be much
simpler.