Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Mac OS default codecvt facet
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-14 19:50:21

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> * Is UTF-8 OK with Mac OS users as the Boost.Filesystem default?
>
> UTF-8 is not merely a default on Mac OS X. It's _the_ encoding used by the
> OS.

Do you have a link for that? I spent awhile searching the Apple site,
but didn't come up a direct description of how a narrow character file
name is translated into a file system path. The actual on disk format
is apparently UTF-16.

> You can't use any other encoding and expect things to work (if you leave
> ASCII land).

I'm less than 100% sure of that. I see discussions indicating locale
can have an impact.

> At least as far as I know since I've never used a Mac. :-)

I've got one of those cute little mini Mac's, but it's in Virginia and
I'm in Florida at the moment.

Thanks,

--Beman