Subject: Re: [boost] [Filesystem V3] Filesystem Version 3 beta 1 available for download and comment
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-18 11:30:33

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The first beta release of Boost.Filesystem Version 3 is now available.
>
> The documentation can be viewed at http://mysite.verizon.net/beman/v3/index.htm

The descriptions for portable_name() and portable_directory_name()
appear to be at odds.

portable_name() : ... && (name is "." or "..", and the first character
not a period or hyphen)

portable_directory_name(): ... && (name is "." or ".." or contains no periods)

Should portable_name() be "... && (name is "." or "..", or contains no
periods) && (first character not a hyphen)"? Maybe I'm missing
something?

Also, in the tut3.cpp tutorial code, there's no mention of the dangers
of using "*it" inside the directory_iterator loop. IIRC, in previous
Filesystem revisions, this would throw if you did not have adequate
permissions to see the file to which "it" refers. Has this changed?
If not, I think that you should either wrap the body of the loop in a
try-catch block, or use one of the non-throwing function overloads,
and indicate to the user what the exception safety concerns are. I
think the tutorial code should exhibit enough robustness that the user
can just cut-and-paste to get the basic code needed to use the
library.

Zach