Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Boost.Log formal review
From: strasser_at_[hidden]
Date: 2010-03-08 07:00:41

Zitat von Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]>:
> the formal review of the Boost.Log library, written by Andrey Semashev,
> starts now and will run through March 17, 2010.

Andrey, thanks for your contribution.

I have a couple of questions for my review from reading the documentation.
I'm sure there'll be more once I've used the library.

could you please explain your design rationale for:

  - not using user-defined log record types.

   for example:

   logger << http_connection_requested("Connection from foreign
host",host,port);

with http_connection_requested being a user-defined class that models
a defined concept so that the logging core is able to extract the
attributes.

  - your use of shared_ptr. shared_ptrs are used in places where you'd
expect return by reference(e.g. core::get()) or by value(e.g. result
of Attribute::get_value()).
why is a singleton managed by a shared_ptr?

  - why is the logging core a singleton? should you not be able to set
up multiple logging systems within an application, each with its own
filters and sinks?

  - for identifying attributes by runtime strings, instead of
statically e.g. by attribute tags.

  - identifying channels by runtime strings

  - special handling of severity. why is it not just another attribute?

  - special handling of message. why is it not a string attribute?

thanks!