Subject: Re: [boost] [SoC] Summer of Code Project Ideas
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-08 11:10:47

> > ==Applications of Boost==
> > This is a little different... It might be a good idea to have students
> build
> > real (example?) applications that use the Boost C++ Libraries. There are
> > number of real benefits to having students work in this space. First,
> these
> > applications are very obvious clients of Boost. They can provide
> immediate
> > feedback on issues with the interface, usability, correctness,
> performance,
> > documentation, etc. Second, they might make really good examples of best
> > practice for using Boost. Third, they probably make nice student
> projects.
>

> Hi all,
> I'm developing a symbolic circuit solutor based on Qt and Boost for my
> degree thesis and it will be ready in his first beta version on June.
>
> What about using this as base for an example of Application of Boost?
>
> I use BGL, Property Tree, Any, Variant and so on, so I think it's a good
> example of how boost libraries can work together.

I think I may have opened a can of worms that I'm not quite prepared to
address :)

There are a number of issues with proposing an application. It's could be
the case that applications like this will never be part of the BGL core
release since they tend to be very application-specific and somebody would
have to commit time and effort to maintaining them (which is actually a huge
problem).

If the work includes the extension of the library (e.g., new algorithms to
the BGL), then there's inherent value for that library. You would probably
have to find some kind of "sweet spot" in the proposal. How much are you
contributing back to the library or Boost in general, vs. just using the
libraries.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]