Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Review attempt
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-09 14:31:42

On 03/09/2010 08:53 PM, Roland Bock wrote:
> Vladimir Prus wrote:
> [snip]
>>> The process cc1plus was running about 20 minutes (100%CPU, moderate RAM
>>> usage) before anything else happened.
>>
>> It looks like 4.2 is somehow unhappy with the code.
>
> Following a hint from Sean Chittenden, I downloaded the current code
> from the boost.log svn. Compilation still seems to take forever (20
> minutes), but it now compiles. Here is the 20min gap:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 rbock rbock 5690672 2010-03-09 18:19 filter_parser.o
> -rw-r--r-- 1 rbock rbock 4972776 2010-03-09 18:39 formatter_parser.o
>
> I wonder if it is possible to speed it up (or to break it up into
> smaller packages). I almost killed the process after 15 minutes...
>
> Anyway, I am going to start experimenting tomorrow...

These parsers do, indeed, give a hard time to compilers. I tried to
reduce the footprint but apparently some compilers still barely cope
with them. Not sure what can be done, but I'll try to experiment some
more. Suggestions from Boost.Spirit gurus are welcome. :)

>> I think you better locate the first error message from the compiler
>> and post that. Further
>> errors are likely induced. I wonder if the first error message is "ran
>> out of memory", though.
>
> No, it was some template error starting with
>
> ./boost/intrusive/detail/is_stateful_value_traits.hpp: In instantiation
> [snip]
>
> With the source from the SVN, these messages are gone :-)

I assume it was the anonymous namespaces bug in GCC that was worked
around in trunk.