Subject: Re: [boost] [Log] Review Results
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-11 13:08:17

Andrey Semashev wrote:
[snip]
>> - core: cite: [This section contains a more detailed description of
>> library components and features. Some of them are presented in the
>> Tutorial section...]
>> This may be one of the main reasons for me to have some trouble. When I
>> wrote that mini test program, I found myself continuously jumping from
>> tutorial to details and back again.
>
> Ok, I'll remove that as it looks like it doesn't bring any useful
> information anyway.

Hmm. The sentence is not the problem. My issue was: I found
valuable/required information in both places. I therefore never knew
where to look. Often enough I first looked in details and then had to go
to the tutorial when I did not find what I wanted.

It is very good to have the tutorial, but when I read in the details, I
would prefer all information to be available in the details. It should
not be necessary to go back to the tutorial.

It may very well be that this topic is outdated when the other
documentation things are changed. So maybe you should ignore it for now :-)

>> - sink_frontends:
>> A mini summary with mini sample code would be helpful as introduction:
>> What do I do with sink frontends?
>>
>> Construct
>> Add filters
>> Add backends
>> Add attributes? <-- can I ?
>> Hand over to core
>
> Hmm, there are code samples for every sink frontend, and every sample
> contains the steps needed to setup a sink, including filters, formatters
> and adding to the core. Do you think that's not enough?

The examples are fine if I want to take a look at a specific frontend.
But if I want to know "what are frontends all about", it does not help
to start reading that every sink has to be compatible with the sink
interface...

Thats why I suggested a mini summary, maybe in form of a list telling me
what I can do with a sink in general.

Regards,

Roland