Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Boost.Log formal review
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-12 08:33:28

Roland Bock wrote:
> About warnings, I am not sure. When would a generic library (like the
> ones found in boost) issue a warning?

I just know that the need to report warnings arises quite often in my experience. From "deprecation warnings" to "inaccurate results" caused by "extremely coarse" user supplied numerical parameters (or excessive computation time due to "extremely fine" user supplied numerical parameters). Same goes for "information" reporting, especially "progress information" for such things as "progress bars".

I don't believe that "generic libraries" are free from these issues. Why "generic" by the way? Is there really a difference with respect to warnings for "libraries" versus "generic libraries"?

Regards,
Thomas