Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Boost.Log formal review
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-12 08:34:24

Roland Bock wrote:
> Stewart, Robert wrote:
> > Roland Bock wrote:
> >> If there really is an urge for a library to actively report some
> >> information, I'd agree with Rob Stewart: The client could to
> >> provide the library with a callback. Although, I'd say that this
> >> should be a rather simple callback (e.g. void (const string&))
> >> which should not require Boost.Log.
> >
> > I don't think that's sufficient. The callback API should
> > provide a means to discover whether logging at a certain
> > severity is enabled, for example, before the message content
> > is formatted. Otherwise, the library will waste time
> > producing a string that won't be used. Furthermore, any
> > other attributes that might be reasonable to characterize the
> > source of the information, the library name perhaps, might be
> > split from the string if the application's logging API allows it.
>
> Hmm. This is getting complex and (from my perspective) a bit
> theoretical. Until now, I cannot think of a generic library
> having the need to give information at all.

It is theoretical as we don't yet know what any Boost library (or other generic library) might wish to log. Barend raised the issue, presumably because he was interested in logging from his library. I know that we log a good deal from our internal libraries, but they aren't libraries like those in Boost. What would prove unacceptable is for each Boost library wishing to log something to create its own API for doing so, unless the number of such libraries is close to one.

> And for specific libraries, e.g. a network monitoring library which
> detects unusual activities, I'd say the interface should be discussed
> with the developers/users of those specific libraries.

Discussing it on this list is discussing it with the developers and many users.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]