Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Boost.Log formal review
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-12 08:38:47

Daniel James wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 12:37, Stewart, Robert
> <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I haven't thought through how what I'm describing might be
> > done in an efficient and flexible manner. Maybe I'm really
> > just saying that Boost.Log should provide a really
> > lightweight path to an easily customized adapter that directs
> > the logging output to the application's logging mechanism.
> > What I don't want is for such a path to trigger the creation
> > of threads or otherwise impose on the application much more
> > than just a simple redirection to the application's preferred
> > logging API.
>
> That's not a bad idea, but it sounds to me like it should be separate
> from Boost.Log. If we ever manage to modularize boost, then you
> wouldn't want everything that depends on this lightweight logging
> header to depend on Boost.Log.

I was presuming that such a mechanism would reuse parts of Boost.Log and that those looking for such an adapter would look at Boost.Log first. Provided that mechanism is header only, I don't see why it can't be part of Boost.Log. That would require that Boost.Log be in the Boost installation, but it wouldn't require building Boost.Log.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]