Subject: Re: [boost] Review - boost::log
From: Tom Brinkman (reportbase2007_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-14 16:38:46

>> wrong. "C" style api's are the standard, even in C++ applications.

Its the established practice. Sorry if your experience is different.

Modern C++ is losing its pull around here. (Silicon Valley) Very few
projects use it any more. By modern, I mean Boost style and heavy
templates.

Most of my recent projects have consisted of ripping out templated
code and replacing it with "C" friendly "API's".

I still prefer C++ for most tasks. However, I like to wrap them in "C"
api's so others can use them. Using stream operators
or std::string in a public API is a absolutly horrible thing to do around
here.

Those C++ developers that develop in isolation probably have
not experienced this push back. I understand. I sympothize.

It just doesnt make any sense to write a utility library for
general purpose use that only addresses the needs of
boost style C++ developers. The core of the library needs to be written
in a way that all C/C++ developers can use it.

Fine, if you want to write a wrapper around the core with some fancy C++
technique go for it.