Subject: Re: [boost] Review - boost::log
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-14 17:19:47

NOTE: is this not slightly OT? I ask and then I immediately continue on this dreaded path.

This has nothing to do with the style of API's that C++ applications use or expect, it is about the simple fact that the interactive language of choice between libraries and components in the "native" world "around there" (SV) is C, not C++.

So, what you are saying is that "around there", people prefer to use one "glue" language, C, to another one, and that the glue will affect all code to make it less "extreme/templated"? That is fine, and a loss for those companies, in my humble opinion. Well, well, you cannot win them all, most developers will feel more comfortable in C or Java than in "heavier" languages like C++ (not "C plus some strange syntax to support MFC") or Scala.

So, should we give up this nonsense of expressing our solutions in powerful languages (with abstractions fitting the more experienced formalist) and just use C and Java?

PS
Yes, I know we have had this discussion before, where some people got a bit upset by my elitist view of C++, and instead argued that C++ can be made for everyone, or that it should be a goal to address as many developers as possible with our Boost efforts. Only that elusive entity addressed to in some of our signatures will ever really know.

/David