Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Locale] New Release
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-14 18:10:45

> One thing that has bugged me with std::locale is the
> mandatory locking incurred for trivial things like creating
> an output stream. How does this library behave with locking
> and the like? (I guess performance is not a prime
> consideration though.)

I use std::locale goodies as is, so if compiler uses locking then
it would happen.

However, std::locale implementation is very efficient and uses reference
counting and global functions like std::locale::global in any case
should not be used.

I assume that ICU would do much more locking on its own then standard
C++ library.

> I guess performance is not a prime
> consideration though.

Yes, it is not my primary consideration.