Subject: Re: [boost] boost::log review (printf style api)
From: Vladimir Batov (vbatov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-14 20:34:09

> From: "Tom Brinkman" <reportbase2007_at_[hidden]>
> [snip]
Snipped Tom's views and opinions about functional programming which I agree
with but which are OT with regard to boost::log.

> This boost::log library should not be approved without a simple "C"
> friendly

> api. That being a printf style api.

I second that. If we want the library to be anything beyond an academic toy,
it has to be practical and deployed, it should to be easy to retrofit such
new library into *existing* projects. The ovewhelming majority of the
projects I've been involved in use printf-style formating for logging. On a
large scale the std::stream-style formatting failed miserably and
programmers (well, at least those I worked with) voted with their
feet/hends/whatever.

Best,

Vladimir.