Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Boost.XML
From: Ilie Halip (lupuroshu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-21 03:44:01

> So I wrote something where the element and attribute iterators (etc.) are
> just pointers into the (memory-mapped) XML source. When an iterator is
> incremented it steps through the source looking (textually) for the start of
> the next element or attribute (etc.). The result is something that uses
> almost no memory and is fast for the sorts of access pattern that I needed.

That's a great idea! If possible, I'd also like to have a look at the code.

Also note, that boost already includes with propertyTree another XML parser,
> rapid XML (not sure its exposed). Also rapid XML isn't offering SAX.

There's been a talk on IRC about property_tree. The main point was that
property_tree reads an xml, but Boost.XML is all about XML specs and related
APIs.

> maybe with spirit it would be possible to write a Parser that could parse a
> document in multiple threads.

What would be the approach here? For a DOM parser, I can imagine each child
of the current element being parsed in separate thread (with a max. of 10
threads, for example). But a SAX parser - how would it work multithreaded?

I'm stumped with all your great ideas, and right now I don't know if all of
them can be done by only one person in 3 months. In this case, I think it's
best we ask the mentor for this project, which I believe is Stefan. I'll ask
him to join the discussion if I see him on IRC. 8 days from now, the student
application period begins, and until then I want to be sure what's expected
of me, so I can write a good proposal. And by the way, is it ok if I ask you
for suggestions writing it?

Regards,
Ilie.