Subject: Re: [boost] The problems with Boost development
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-21 13:27:42

Boris Schaeling wrote:

>>> is found to have a fatal flaw shortly after a release, you
>>> wait 6 months (or whatever) for another version of boost
>>> which fixes the bug, but also breaks the API on a half-dozen
>>> other libraries you use.
>>>
>>> This is then really a problem with testing if such a
>>> disastrous bug slips through?
>>
>> I think that it is terribly wrong assume that Boost can release any kind
>> of bug-free library even free from terrible, critical bugs that make
>> the library useless. It is programming world. There is no such thing like
>> bug free software. See UUID example...
>
> I would propose then to add a patch system to bjam? If bjam supported
> patches (in order not to depend on various tools on different operating
> systems) those who urgently need a fix wouldn't need to wait for the
> next official release?

Why would Boost.Build support patches? The procedure for making maintenance
release is pretty straigh-forward:

1. "svn merge -c" the fix to maintenance branch.
2. create a tarball/zip from the maintenance branch

If there's interest, I can actually do it.

[There's the problem that SF file release system is a bit convoluted and not-scriptable,
but we can bypass it completely, just like it's done for Boost.Build nightly builds]

- Volodya