Subject: [boost] [SoC] Some extra ideas to Google SoC
From: âÉÉÎ éÌØÑ (biinilya_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 11:42:59

Hi, I've discovered boost for myself for about a year ago.
I treat this library as an addiction to STL,
something to improve the speed and the quality of C++ development.

Yesterday I'd found out that boost is participating in Google SoC.
The ideas listed by the mentor are in fact very interesting and useful
in many ways.
But there are some of my own. I'd like to consult you if they are
acceptable by the project.

The first one I want to discuss is containers.
Of course there are some in stl, but they provide to user no control of
their internal structure and realization.
For example there are situations, when I need a container to be
thread-safe and there are one when I don't.
There are situations when I want atomic pop in the queue. Or may be I
want container to be thread-safe.
Or I want deque to be realized not upon an array, but upon the map.
There a lot of such modifiers and there is no way in stl or boost to
handle this.
So, my first idea is to create highly customizable containers with
template parameters.
But i'm afraid that I wasn't the first who'd like to do so and there are
some restrictions in project philosophy.

The second thing I want to suggest is the creation of neural net
library.
You can ask if there any serious reasons to do this in a common
library.
I think that elements of primitive AI would simplify realization of some
heuristic methods and algorithms.
And of course the boost users would highly appreciate this opportunity.

I'm willing to hear your comments.

Best wishes,
Biin Ilya.