Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Boost.XML
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 13:43:49

Ilie,

After having written that Boost.XML GSoC idea, I have started looking
more into the existing (sandbox) project. Doing this I realized that the
project is in better shape than I feared. Thus, I think most of the work
required there is about documenting the existing design and API, and
then following through and submitting it for review as a new boost
component.
I think that is not something that may be done as part of a GSoC...

Of course, bringing up the topic of XML support in C++ (boost,
specifically) will typically draw in lots of attention from all corners,
and result in a big bikeshed discussion. I'd rather try to avoid getting
into those arguments again, as I feel like I have wasted enough time on
that in the past.

The approach I have taken is to provide a (thin) wrapper around an
existing (well tested and supported, and very fast) library (libxml2),
so I don't have to reinvent those wheels again. Please note that none of
this should leak through the API, i.e. the API can be re-implemented
differently without users having to notice.

If you would like to get involved, I would be happy. But I shall retract
it from the list of GSoC ideas, for the aforementioned reasons.

Thanks,
         Stefan