Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Boost.XML
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 14:55:31

> The approach I have taken is to provide a (thin) wrapper around an existing
> (well tested and supported, and very fast) library (libxml2), so I don't
> have to reinvent those wheels again. Please note that none of this should
> leak through the API, i.e. the API can be re-implemented differently without
> users having to notice.

This is similar to the direction of the BigInt proposals, which also suffers
bikeshed discussions :) I think think that this is the right direction.
Abstracting the interface leaves room for lots other (more user-specific)
parsers or frameworks.

If you would like to get involved, I would be happy. But I shall retract it
> from the list of GSoC ideas, for the aforementioned reasons.

I hope you'll reconsider. I think having a student build another back end or
two and work on polishing the interface would make a pretty good summer
project.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]