Subject: Re: [boost] Should Boost adopt pimpl/d-pointer as much as it can?
From: DE (satan66613_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 15:17:01

on 21.03.2010 at 23:16
 Artyom wrote :
> [Sarcasm]
> I would only rephrase you a little:

> in order to avoid the myriad of problems
> involved in ensuring that boost libraries are compiled with
> **one specific** compiler on **one** specific operating system
> where compiler run-times are not backward compatible between releases
> and even between debug/release builds, where is
> no standard naming conventions for various libraries types even exists,
> and building shared library requires extraordinary skills and lots
> of non-trivial configuration macros in order to get it done right.
> [/Sarcasm]
indeed
this is the reality we are living in

> But still, I think that creation of header only libraries just in order
> to simplify build procedures, IMHO, are just not justified.

> Libraries are not designed for simple users they are designed for
> developers that should be capable to solve these problems.
i strongly diagree with you
i think one should strive to make his library open to as many users as
it is possible, not only pro developers
that is the scourge of modern software engineering (as i understand it)
modern tools are so complicated that only very experienced programmers
can handle it
please don't make things worse than they are!

--
Pavel