Subject: Re: [boost] Should Boost adopt pimpl/d-pointer as much as it can?
From: Christian Holmquist (c.holmquist_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 18:09:24

> > Libraries are not designed for simple users they are designed for
> > developers that should be capable to solve these problems.
> i strongly diagree with you
> i think one should strive to make his library open to as many users as
> it is possible, not only pro developers
> that is the scourge of modern software engineering (as i understand it)
> modern tools are so complicated that only very experienced programmers
> can handle it
> please don't make things worse than they are!

Is is really that difficult to work a little bit more on the documentation
for the Getting Started Guide? I would dedicate some of my time if a small
task force could be organized to improve it, if that's the major obstacle
for moving code from .hpp to .cpp. I've been managing our companies build
script (if you can call it that, it's very tiny) for boost so I've ran into
to most of the common problems during the years that repeatedly gets into
the mailing lists (for Windows platform, only).

I find this argument that boost being too difficult to build as an old myth
that is not actually true. If it -is- true, the correct solution must be to
improve it, and not to force users to recompile boost sources every time
they make a change to their own code.

My thoughts,
christian