Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Boost.XML
From: Ilie Halip (lupuroshu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-23 05:14:07

> I'm curious to see what Ilie is taking from this discussion. Hopefully
> we're
> not scaring people away ;)

No, not really - though I do admit the talk around here has been a little
confusing. :) I haven't had time to reply yesterday, sorry.

I'm not sure this kind of project would have enough complexity to actually
work on for more than 2-3 weeks. Except for the actual calls to the
underlying XML parser, there are little modifications to be done (API change
to support multiple backends, maybe detecting them at runtime?, setting
options if needed).

There will be problems when the backend parser doesn't support a necessary
feature (like TinyXML not supporting validation), or implementation details
making it difficult to use (like MSXML requiring COM, which means
CoInitialize() calls on each thread that's using it), or those with enough
features have huge binary packages.

A first step would be researching different 3rd party xml libraries, and
make some choices. And I fear it's me who has to make those choices, because
I have to write the proposal. Any hints in this direction are greatly
appreciated.

Regards,
Ilie.