Subject: Re: [boost] [geometry] Inclusion in the next release?
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 07:26:48

Hi Romain,

> Nothing related but, have you done any comparison with GeographicLib (
> http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/)? In term of performance and accuracy
> for geodesic computation?

I know this library but didn't test these aspects. All our projections
are converted from proj4 to C++, and by this conversion alone they are
slightly faster. It is indeed interesting to see if there are
differences with this library.
About accuracy: we will support both double and high-precision
arithmetic types and it is also interesting if there are differences here.

We don't have yet official performance tests for projections in the
suite Mateusz pointed to. Actually the projections are an "extension"
and were not part of the review, even if Boost.Geometry is in the next
release or in 1.44, it might be that the projections are still not there
yet, we have to harmonize some things as earth models.

Regards, Barend