Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Boost.XML
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 06:57:40

On 03/24/2010 06:24 AM, Ilie Halip wrote:
> Are you also thinking about switching backends at runtime?

No.

> Because to me it makes more sense like that, rather then linking to 2-3
> specific libraries. Plus, other parsers could be easily integrated by any
> boost::xml user.

I think you may have misunderstood. The choice of backend needs to be
made at compile-time. Being able to switch at runtime would incur a
significant runtime overhead, and I can't see any use-case for that.

The exercise here is to make sure the boost.xml interface hides backend
details sufficiently well that it is possible to have different
implementations. Aside from that, the wrapper should be as thin as
possible, to preserve performance and small memory footprint.

> In any case, I'll come up with a proposal draft sometime in the next days.
> Hope you guys can help me with suggestions. :)

Thanks,
         Stefan