Subject: Re: [boost] The problems with Boost development
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 16:33:36

AMDG

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Steven Watanabe wrote:
>
>> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>
>>> Also I've always been unhappy about the chart displayed
>>> for the remote testing. Other than the compiler, it doesn't
>>> show me the build features debug/release, static/dynamic, etc.
>>> much less test the combinations.
>>>
>> You can force Boost.Build to build different combinations
>> for your library.
>>

> I'm doing that. That's why the library_test script shows
> a separate cell with results for each variation.
> That is I get 5 cells if there are 5 variations.

I mean that you can adjust the Jamfiles so that the
regression tests will run multiple variants automatically.

Something like

alias all_variants : serialization : <variant>debug <variant>release ;

should do the trick, I think. (Warning, I haven't actually tried this)

>> I'm pretty sure that if you do, the table
>> cell for the test will link to a page that shows the different
>> variants.
>>

> I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if it's the table
> shown in the trunk test I don't see where I can decypher the
> build settings.

You generally can't unless there are multiple build variants or
something fails. Unless the tester explicitly sets them, they
should just use the defaults.

> In this particular example, I get a failure and click on the link to get
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ykqdaba
>
> which doesn't help me at all - though I guess that's a separate issue

It looks like something is failing that isn't getting picked up by the
reporting tools. I don't see what it could be. I guess we'd need
to see the bjam log to figure it out. Ask on the testing list?

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe