Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Fabio Fracassi (f.fracassi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 17:17:24

Jonathan Franklin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Emil Dotchevski
> <emildotchevski_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Tom's observations are just that, observations. In my experience, they
>> are correct. It doesn't mean that actionable proposals are practical
>> or possible.
>
> My experience turns out to be quite different. And that's fine. No
> single person represents the entire boost, let alone C/C++ developer
> community.
>
> If no one has anything further to add that will actually benefit
> boost, then this thread should be ruthlessly abandoned. But thanks
> for sharing. ;-)

I think there is one thing. Tom charactarizes Libraries such as GIL or
the aforementioned VSIPL++ as "just" a wrapper around C code. While in a
certain sense this is true, IMVHO this also misses the point that
Jonathan also raises, i.e. The C part in graphics/HPC programming is the
equivalent of the "inline Assembler" of earlier days.
That means that you use them when you have to, but wrap these code parts
aggressively.

Now to get the curve back to boost: I think that boosts great advantage
is that it can help to develop *portable* wrappers of this kind. GIL is
  a great example btw, if I want to develop a wrapper around some OpenGL
functionality I can use GIL as an abstraction for e.g. textures. I could
  of course develop my own abstraction (and have, too - but it would
never get as good as a boost gil is) but I couldn't expect anyone
outside my sphere of influence to use it.

This is gets more important the higher I want to raise the abstraction,
because there are more smaller abstractions I have to use (e.g. any,
variant, shared_ptr, or ...)
This is also why I disagree with point 3 of Toms observations, because
IMVHO it is a great boon to know that I have *all* the small boost tools
at my disposal, and that it becomes fairly automatic that programmers
use the boost version instead of rolling their own, or even go hunting
for something else.

Regards,

Fabio